Wednesday 13 March 2013

Sleep, one step at a time

I've lost track of what day it is for sleep training and the hours of sleep I've had this week. It's been a week and a half (I think) since I've removed the futon from E's room, and I think things are getting better. It's slow though.

The last few nights he's woken at random times and been easy to put back down, with the exception of last night when he woke at 11pm and screamed for 30 minutes. Then he slept for 10 minutes and screamed for another 45. Then he slept from 1am to 545am, which I admit, is a small improvement.

He has been sleeping better in general, so I didn't want to get him up last night and ruin the routine I've been putting into place. I feel bad because I think he's getting sick and just not feeling well in general. His brother had the flu that turned into some sort of infection, and E has a low fever today.

I think half the problem was a change the routine if he was sick or teething or had another good reason for not sleeping well. This was compassionate and sensitive, but I don't know if it's worth re-establishing the same routine every month. After one rough night, I will use preventive measures tonight. I will check for a fever and give him Tylenol if he needs it, and hopefully he won't scream for half the night again.

On a separate note, E is going to bed very well. He hasn't cried at bedtime for a while now, although he still fights his naps sometimes. He will likely grow out of naps before he is okay with going to sleep during the day, but I'll keep this up for the night time at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment