Friday 1 March 2013

A day in the life...

I have had several conversations with parents about what on earth goes through a toddler's mind sometimes. We all wonder. The things they do are incredibly cute, but sometimes just don't make any sense. With that in mind, today I am going to describe a typical day for E, in a 17-monoth old voice.

I woke up at 6 today, and Mommy brought me into bed with her. I know she's tired but I still like to get up and play on the bed while she tried to convince me to go back to sleep. It's an hour of quality time and snuggles, but we're both fully awake. Sometimes I stick my finger up her nose or in her ears when she's not looking, because it's funny to hear her say no.

At seven, my brother comes in to "wake us up." Mommy carries me downstairs and drags herself to the instant coffee, while I go through the fridge and take everything out. I always decide on yogourt, but the food looks better on the floor than in the fridge. I usually have cereal too, and when I'm not hungry anymore I dump it all out on my tray and mix up the soggy bits with milk and yogourt. Mommy always wipes it up way too soon, and then I'm off to play.

Mommy tries to engage me in "smart and educational" activities, like block building and puzzles. Sometimes I humour her, but mostly I go straight to the cars. Why would I want to build a tower when I can zip cars under the couch and get her to dig them out? Cause and effect, Mommy. That's educational!

Sometimes we go out in the mornings, to the library or somewhere else I can play. I don't go in the stroller anymore, which is great. I sit on my own bus seat and look at everyone. I won't talk to strangers though, or even wave at them. I smile but that's all they're getting from me. I play with other kids, but not much. They don't share all that well so I prefer to do my own thing. Mommy talks to a lot of people, no matter who they are, but I'm busy with more important stuff.

At home again I usually have lunch and a nap. Mommy always reads before a nap. I don't scream as much as I used to when I get in my crib, but I still whine a bit. Mommy has to know who the boss is, even if I kind of like naps now. I'm proving a point that I sleep when I want to sleep, and no one can tell me different.

The afternoons are usually time for more playing and some exercise. One of my favourite things to do is go outside, where I can see trees and cats and birds. I love to walk back and forth on the sidewalk, although I would probably just go and go and go if Mommy didn't turn me around. I want to cross the road on my own, but she won't let me yet and I have to scream when that happens. There's not really much else I like to do outside, just walk and turn and walk and turn. Sometimes I point to things, but not usually.

Inside is a great place for walking too. I go around the kitchen and living room over and over. Sometimes I'll pretend to hug Mommy and then run away. I have taught her that this is time to play "catch me if you can." Mommy isn't very fast, but sometimes I stop and let her catch up to me so she doesn't feel bad. Circle walking is really fun if I'm holding something in each hand. It doesn't matter what really, but lately I like holding two pails. If I've only got one hand full, I sometimes tip over.

I eat my snack until I'm full, but I have to complain if Mommy hasn't given me projectiles. Afternoon snack is for eating and throwing, and some things are easier than others. Berries work well, as do crackers, cookies, and apples.

After snack, Mommy tries to engage me again. After ten minutes of playing with her, I usually get distracted and find something else to do. I will watch J play and do whatever he's doing. Sometimes I colour, although Mommy doesn't like it when I do it on the walls or floor. It's supposed to be on paper but that's not nearly as interesting.

I usually get a specific something to play with while Mommy makes dinner, like bowls and spoons or puzzles.It's my chance to try to get upstairs without her noticing. If I'm real quiet, sometimes I make it halfway up before she knows.

Dinner is the family meal, although I usually get served first, then J, then Daddy and Mommy. If I'm going to be picky, this is the meal I do it. I love fish, meat, and eggs. The rest is whether or not I'm in the mood for it. I need to get exactly what I want for dessert, because if someone gives me cookies instead of crackers and I want crackers, I will grunt and squeal and push at my tray until I get taken out. Then I have to waddle over the the right cupboard and show them what I want. They try to get me to use words, but pointing is my preferred method of asking for something.

After dinner, I'm too tired to focus on much but I usually help tidy up a bit. I slam my toys into their proper places and gather bits of garbage from the floor. If they don't look tasty, I will put them in the bin. Mommy always gets the first turn sweeping, but then she lets me go around and get the spots she's missed.

When it's almost bedtime I get really hyper. I drive my train around and around until someone grabs me and forces me into pajamas. Then I get my sippy cup of milk and Mommy reads a book to me. Most nights I go to bed okay, but in the interest of maintaining the status quo, I pick at least two nights a week to scream for half an hour. That's just because. I can't spoil my parents or they'll get complacent. It's been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment