Monday 9 December 2013

Cheerleaders

This isn't a very thematic post for the time of year, but I think it makes sense. I mean that we as parents need to be cheerleaders for our children.  I think it's a good time of year for it though because in December we all are so busy, getting ready for the holidays, visiting, shopping, and whatever else your Christmas (or Hannukah) requires. This is the perfect time to slow down and appreciate what we have at home, mainly, our children.

I know that no one else can push a mother's buttons like their kids. Somehow our children know how to drive us crazy in a matter of seconds. They can be the source of horrible thoughts, bad words and grey hair (ask my own mom about that one). But they are also the best things we have ever had and will ever have. Instead of thinking of what else they did wrong today, think of something they did right. Even if it was for someone else. For example, when I drop J off somewhere I always remind him about twenty times to listen. There's something about me that makes his ears run away, I guess, because he acts deaf when he's at home. But I always receive glowing reports of how good he is and how well he listens when he's with another grown up. Go figure.

But I appreciate that. I even thank him for it. I don't say, "Thank you for listening to some other mom and not me," but I do say thank you. It makes me happy that even when he's got his selective hearing ears on, he still ingests this lesson that I'm trying to send.

There are so many other things that make me happy about my kids. In short, J's love of life, his need to make others happy and his sincere, inclusive nature. E is just as wonderful, with his funny games, his agreeable (yet opinionated) nature, and his love of learning. There's so much more, but this post isn't about bragging about my own children. It's about your children.

Think on what they do that makes you and the rest of the world smile. Then give them a hug and tell them that you love that specific thing about them. If you are really ambitious, make a list or a scrapbook page. Or write a song. It doesn't matter if only you see it, but it would be really cool to show your kids too. The point is, they need to know you appreciate them. They already know you love them, so tell them exactly why. Be their biggest cheerleader and everyone will feel a little happier. And they will probably become more confident too.

There's another good thing about this too. If you consciously appreciate your children every single day, it will make it a little easier when they do drive you nuts. Yes, you feel like screaming obscenities at the moment but hey, this kid can make awesome cookies! Become a cheerleader. Tight tops and short skirts optional (I definitely opt out).

No comments:

Post a Comment