Thursday 20 December 2012

Christmas wrapping conundrums

I have a confession. I am hopeless at wrapping presents. My kids can always tell which ones I have wrapped because they are so messy, with tape everywhere, bulges at the corners, and uneven lines. I feel a little bad at Christmas time over this, but I can't dwell on it. I give myself maybe a minute to think it over, and then forget about it and keep wrapping.

I don't know why my present wrapping skills are so undeveloped. I have had plenty of experience, and I'm just not improving. Here's why it doesn't bother me though.

I know children like to unwrap presents, rather than pluck them out from a gift bag. I have done the gift bags before,  but it's just not the same. They are too expensive besides. I know I can collect all the ones I get from other people is not an issue, but I can never find them when I need them. And recycling gift bags means that I may not have the right size when I need it. Giving someone  a small book in a bag that could fit an elephant or hippo seems silly. And I always have to buy tissue paper, which defeats the purpose of saving money.

Wrapping paper is also expensive, so I usually don't go in for that (although my husband would rather see a neat and tidy gift in pretty paper). Most of the gifts I wrap come in recycled newspaper or flyers. I justify this to my nieces and nephews by telling them it was going to be recycled anyhow, so I may as well use it first. I am teaching them about sustainability and re-purposing. And newspaper doesn't call so much attention to the sloppy wrapping job. I comfort myself with the fact that when they are older, they will appreciate that there is something different about their auntie's gifts, even if it is the packaging. I like to be unique.

Similarly, I try to use current flyers for adult presents. I always circle the great deals before wrapping, and try to be considerate of personal interests. For example, if my sister buys a lot of infant formula I will circle the advertised sale for that formula, so she knows where to buy it and when. I think it is a nice bonus to the gift that's inside. 

I don't have to tell you again that I like cutting corners to keep costs down. So instead of buying expensive gift tags I pull out my trusty Sharpie. Yes, I Sharpie the names on top of the presents instead of using gift tags. If I am feeling extravagant I might even put a smiley face or a holiday greeting on it as well.

So when Christmas comes and it's the Evening To Wrap Gifts, I gather all my recycled and cheap tools and go to it. No one has ever complained before about the messy job, or the fact that their names are written on the paper, or even that it comes in the weekly news. It could be that people are more charitable and forgiving at Christmas time, but it could also be that no one thinks of this stuff but me.


No comments:

Post a Comment