Monday 25 March 2013

His own short little man

With the amount of separation anxiety E had (still has some days), it's quite surprising how independent he is. Usually he's content to play on his own, and no matter how much I try to engage him, he blows me off. Yes, I am being rejected by a toddler.

Maybe I don't play the right way, but he would much rather put together and take apart train tracks alone than stack blocks with Mommy. He will come over to knock them down of course, and then run away to do his own thing again.

I'm not saying we don't play together. A good amount of time is spent every day reading or playing tag or mimicking games. He loves to joke around and "hide," or do anything that elicits a dramatic response. But when it comes to toys, he wants to play alone. Likewise with me helping him. He prefers to become frustrated on his own while trying to figure out a puzzle, over me helping him. I can't even hand him the right puzzle piece without him throwing it across the room in all his indignant fury. How dare I try to teach him anything?

I got used to hands on interaction with J because that's what he responded best to. He would happily hold my hand on the sidewalk and look to me first before making a decision. E stages a rebellion if I try to hold his hand and charge first, make decisions and look for reassurance later. His personality is so different that it took some getting used to. I have to remember that interaction comes in all forms, and E benefits more from the verbal and visual exchanges than J ever did.

That said, he also genuinely loves his own company. He will walk around in circles on the front lawn wanting nothing to do with me. He will leave the room and get another toy when he's had too much stimulation. And he  can amuse himself for a good ten minutes by walking backwards and sideways and spinning in circles. I wish I was so easily amused.

I sometimes feel that he doesn't get enough play time with me, but then I check myself. I have to remember that by giving him his space, which he clearly wants, I'm supporting his unique personality and what comes naturally to him. His preference for playing independently isn't a statement that I don't spend enough time with him, but an example of his own free will and ability to entertain himself. But I do love the games he will play with me.






No comments:

Post a Comment