Thursday 1 August 2013

The Best Ever Tomato Soup (and Salad)

I saw a recipe a while back about Creamy Tomato Soup, and since I'm a relatively lazy cook (meaning I don't like to look for or at recipes), I decided to make it from memory. It took a while, but only because I chopped and seeded the tomatoes myself. If I hadn't, it would have been prepared in less than ten minutes and cooked in less than twenty. When you think about it, it takes about ten minutes to make the canned variety, so why not use the time to make a better and healthier version? The kids love it, and E calls it "ketchup soup," or "kepitch soup" in his words. Some crackers and bread, or in our case chicken on a bun, and it's a super healthy and treat like meal. Here's what I did:

1/4 cup diced onions
2 Tbsp. oil (I used olive)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup water (chicken broth if you prefer)
6 seeded and diced tomatoes, or 1 can of diced tomatoes
1 large or 2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
6 tsp. white sugar
1 cup cream (I used 10%)

In a large pot, brown the onions and garlic in oil. Add water, tomatoes and potatoes. Stir in spices and sugar. Cook, covered, about fifteen minutes until tomatoes break down and potatoes are soft. Remove bay leaves. Blend (I used immersion blender, but I'm sure a food processor or blender works just as well). Add cream and stir, until heated through. Serve with grated or Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Here's another cheat. Have a Buffet Salad night. It takes a little prep, but I think it's worth it to get my boys eating so many vegetables. Wash and shred some lettuce (I use a mix of romaine and spinach, because head lettuce has zero nutrients). Put it in a big bowl, and fill a bunch of small bowls or Tupperware containers with salad extras. Some ideas: diced tomatoes, peas, corn, green onions (if you call it garlic, your children will probably at least try it), shredded or chopped carrots, celery, whatever veggies your kids eat. Then to make it really fun, add some fruit. Dice up some apples, berries and melon, and don't forget the raisins. If you're feeling really ambitious, offer up hard boiled eggs, chicken, tuna, chopped cheese or beef. Some fun extras are crushed nachoes, croutons, Goldfish crackers and crushed chips. Each family member with the requisite amount of lettuce can add whatever they want to their bowl. I give my kids a number: two added veggies, one fruit, one protein and one extra. To use the same idea (and all those leftover ingredients), have a "Wrap night" a day or two later. Repeat the process and wrap it up. Or throw it all in a big bowl with sour cream and salsa, and dip your nachoes. Your children just had salad for dinner, enjoyed it and want to do it again! Can you believe it? I still can't.......

No comments:

Post a Comment