Monday 15 April 2013

What a boy

I have been going on about J`s lack of self-control lately, but there seems to have been a breakthrough. Last week I was baking and I spilled everything: flour, sugar, milk, melted butter, and yes, I dropped the eggs. I was not in a good place. It was at that point J ran in the kitchen wanting a taste of cookie dough. I had to tell him no, because there was no dough but he could take whatever he wanted from the floor. I could see he was about to lose it but he looked at me, then the floor, then at me again and said, ``Mommy I know you`re frustrated so I`m going to clean the living room all by myself.`` And he did!

I almost cried because he was so sweet. Then the next day he brought home a card for me that he`d made in his free time at school, telling me he appreciates all the cooking and baking I do for him, and his favourite are the black bean brownies. He continued the week showing amazing amounts of consideration to not just me, but his brother and dad as well. It didn`t stop there either.

He`s always been more considerate than most kids his age. Even when he was one he was concerned how everyone was feeling and reacting. He gets upset at school because other kids play rough with each other and someone might get hurt, even though he`s playing something else.

The difference last week was his self-control, which allowed him to think about the breakdowns before they happened and change his mind about them.It was amazing to watch, because I saw his face change several times as he thought things through. He was able to be considerate and his own normal, rather than losing control and feeling bad after.

It`s  continued this week too. He`s happier and more helpful around the house without being asked. There are other times when something he`s been trying so hard for has just clicked and all at once he`s an expert. I was ready to wait a little longer for this one though, because despite how bad I feel about his emotional roller coasters sometimes, he is only six. Not that I`m complaining though. Now to teach him how to do the dishes........

No comments:

Post a Comment