Sunday 21 April 2013

Mom's tired

It's been a crazy weekend. I won't bore you with details. Sorry, yes I will. It started on Friday, as weekends usually do. I had the crazy before-dinner hour, when the kids are temporarily insane because they're hungry, tired, cranky, demanding and miserable. This is also the hour I need to think about dinner, so it doesn't really work out some days. I don't blame the kids; everyone has an afternoon slump. It could be better timing, but that's why I like make-ahead meals and slow cooker recipes. Friday though, I had to make dinner at "the time."

Once the kids were fed, I bundled them up to go and buy a birthday present for J's friend. That's when my friend called, and asked me to come over for a TV piece about her cloth diapering business. We still had to get the gift and I hadn't washed my hair and she needed me in forty minutes. I said yes though, because she's awesome and I wanted to help. So off we went for the quickest gift selection ever (in and out of the store in four minutes) and then to my friend's house for a television appearance. I did manage to brush my hair before leaving, so that counts for something, right? E was on TV too, as the cutest diaper model ever. I got the kids to bed over an hour late that night, and we woke up Saturday to the calm before the storm.

I had two coffees and played with the kids and then we had to go. I dropped J and daddy off to J's sports class, then took E across town to the mall to change his diaper (we were in the Great Cloth Diaper Change), then drove back to pick up the athletic one. We stopped at home to get the present we'd forgotten, then daddy dropped J off at his party while I gave E lunch and cleaned the kitchen. Then I put E down for a nap and went grocery shopping, leaving daddy on the quiet home front. E woke up as soon as we were done putting the groceries away, and I went to pick up J. Then we played inside (it was snowing in late April) for the rest of the day. After the kids went to bed I cleaned up and watched a movie and passed out.

Today was a bit slower. I woke up and had two coffees (this is what I do every day), and did the breakfast/hygiene/playtime thing. Then E had an early nap because he was exhausted, so I had a chance to bake all the treats I promised for J. I made banana bread, muffins, and a truck load of homemade bear paws. Then E woke up and J's friend came over for a visit. Since it wasn't snowing today, I took them all to the park and chased E around the play structure for two hours while J and his friend played Nerf gun tag. By the time J's friend left at five, I was thoroughly wiped.

Now the kids are in bed and I am updating my blogs for my loyal fans and followers. The point is not that I flatter myself! I was planning to work on my assigned article and edit some stories I've written, but it's past 9 pm and my head hurts. So I'm going to try, but I doubt I'll make much of a dent in my workload. I know it's been said before, but I'm going to emphasize here that children take a lot of work!  It's weekends like this one that bring that message home. It's the best work in the world though, and I had a blast. Needless to say, I wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe my noisy neighbours who have kept me up all week.

Mostly unrelated but still relevant: Check it out! I'm on TV!
http://www.chextv.com/news/ln/13-04-19/Cloth_diapers_vs_Disposables.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment