Monday 29 April 2013

A brief reflection on food

As my early readers know, I am careful about what food I let J and E eat. I know there are certain things that cause them problems and was avoiding certain colours and additives. What I didn't know was that there were so many. I was avoiding most heavily processed snacks and junk food and J was still having trouble listening and paying attention at times. So I looked things up. I love Google. Here's some surprising things that I didn't know, that might enlighten other parents.

Common triggers for behavioural problems are not just found in junk food and juice, or even processed snacks like cookies and cereal bars. Most yogourt, bread, soup and crackers contain these things as well. Alternative milk, like soy and rice milk contain these things too. And oatmeal. That's right, oatmeal! I didn't know people put additives in oatmeal but apparently they do. Which leads me to conclude that most children with gluten-allergies aren't necessarily allergic to gluten, but to all the processed additives that go with it. Crazy.

Anyway, this is just a short note on something I found surprising. I will post a link to the site with all the additives and food colourings that I found later.

Addendum: These foods don't have to be eliminated completely, just monitored and reduced if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment