Wednesday 17 April 2013

Messy Boys

I know not everyone will agree with me on this, but I believe boys are supposed to be messy. What does a 6-year old boy need with a hair brush anyway? I am guilty of taking my boys out with food on their shirts and faces. Oops. It doesn't bother me though because there are far more important thigns to focus on, like having fun and being nice to people.

That's not to say I go overboard. I do clean my children. There is a hand wipe and face swipe after every meal and snack. They have their bath/shower every other day (it can't be every day due to dry skin) and they always wash their hands before eating or after hygienic rituals. That said, there always seems to be food somewhere on their little persons.

I think it's all about balance. I'm not going to let E go out with a donut stuck to his nose or anything (as if he'd leave it there), but I'm not going to spend a significant part of each day making sure he's immaculate either. He's a boy. He's a magnet for food, dirt and anything sticky. As long as he's mostly clean at the end of the day, I'm not too worried about it. J's pretty good at keeping his face clean, if not his clothes, so this is mostly about the toddler. J will get dirty outside though.....


I know there are parents out there who can't stand messy faces, but I've never had someone tell me E's too messy. He's so cute and happy that most people never notice the ketchup on his chin. If anyone can pull it off, he can. Besides, look at that face! Isn't it just begging for sloppy food?

No comments:

Post a Comment