Wednesday 23 January 2013

Dry Skin

J and E both suffer from severely dry skin. E has outbreaks of eczema with the raised, bumpy patches that seem to correlate to teething. I have been trying different products and following advice from doctors and everyone else for years. I can't seem to find one thing that works for both children, but I have gone through enough trials to figure out what doesn't work.

This one's for parents of kids with dry skin or eczema. In the interest of not being sued for libel, I will not list the products that don't work, only the ones that do. J still has cradle cap (which is evidence of nothing working), and I finally tried Aveeno Moisturizing Baby Wash with oatmeal on it. I bought it for E originally, but it does nothing for his skin or cradle cap. It doesn't help J's skin, but his cradle cap came right off after the first use.

For J's skin, I needed special permission from a doctor to use Eucerin with 10% Urea, which got rid of all his scales after a week. I can't use it on E though because he's too young. It also works to reduce my psoriasis, but not eliminate it for all the parents with skin problems of your own. It's expensive though.

For E, the Babyboo lotion works well on his skin. It softens it but doesn't eliminate the dry skin completely. This is an all natural lotion with bamboo, and it smells like ice cream. It's a great price too, and can be found at Walmart. It does nothing for J though. I haven't tried the shampoo from Babyboo, but I will because I have not found anything yet for E's cradle cap.

When E gets his raised patches of eczema, the only thing that works so far is diaper cream. It will take it away after two applications.

I hope this helps some of you who may be struggling with the same thing. Make sure you get a doctor's permission before you try the medicated over the counter lotions though. There are several products out there and some might be harmful to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment