Tuesday 22 January 2013

A weekend without the kids

This past weekend my mom offered to take the kids so my husband and I could have some time to ourselves. Friday was fun. We went out for dinner, went book shopping, had a coffee, and went for a short walk in the cold. Then we went home and watched some British television on Netflix, and called it a night.

After sleeping in until a record-breaking 8:45 on Saturday morning, I got up and relaxed on the couch, reading and drinking coffee. I finished the last half of my novel and wondered what else to do. It was noon. I got up to write for a bit, had a shower, and wandered the kitchen and living room. It was 1 pm. All this time and so much nothing to do. It was a problem.

I got frustrated. My husband and I had already decided we were not going to be productive on this day. I was bored. I felt useless. And my back was killing me for sitting down for two hours. Exercise was a little too ambitious for me, but I went out to do some shopping. I thought maybe I would enjoy browsing around for mommy things, but I didn`t. I felt there was no point to it, so I went to the drug store to pick up something for my mom and went home. I ordered a very early dinner for pick up, and picked it up very early. That was useful I suppose.

The day was not a total loss though. I did enjoy the morning. I also realized something very important. I am incapable of relaxing (i.e. doing nothing) for a long period of time. It made me much more grateful for my kids. They keep me busy and productive. When there is a full day and nothing to fill it, I don`t feel normal.

The end of the story is that I missed my kids a lot more than they missed me. Apparently E fell asleep without much fuss for Nanna at naptime and bedtime, and he slept through the night too. J missed me a little on Friday night, but by Saturday he was too busy enjoying himself to think of me much.

When we picked them up on Sunday they were both happy to see us, despite hardly noticing we were gone. Nanna can have them again (she said they were wonderful and well-behaved, which is a blog for another day), but there might be a time limit. I know they are fine without me for a weekend, but I don`t handle it quite so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment