Tuesday 10 September 2013

What a week (and it's only Tuesday!)

J started school along with the rest of the general, school-aged population last week. I would have written a lengthy post about that, but I've been sick and lazy. In a nutshell, he's happy he's going every day. I am a little happy he's going every day, because it gives me a chance to have one-on-one time with E (like J had for so long), but I'm also a little sad that he's going every day now. I worked it out and between the bus and school he will be away from home for 35 hours a week for the next fourteen years. That seems like a lot, and it's a little sad. Maybe that's why I didn't have a hard time when he went to Junior Kindergarten though. He started on an every other day basis and I was wondering what was wrong with me. I wasn't crying like the rest of the moms who sniffled their children off to their very first day......Now that he's going every day though, I have had to fight the sniffles a couple of times.

End of nutshell. Now let's move on to this week. Monday was great, despite me being sick. I didn't feel great but was determined to spend a good day with E. We spent the morning walking around the neighbourhood and going to his favourite parks. Then we got home and E had a nap while I had some time to rest and write. Then we went to the bus stop. There were about five kids who got off the bus ahead of J, and every one of them told me his nose was bleeding.Then J got off the bus and his nose wasn't just bleeding; it was pouring out of both nostrils and his clothes were a write-off. Since he had surgery on his nose eleven days prior to that, I was a bit concerned to say the least.

What followed was a frantic call to Telehealth and then waiting to determine whether medical attention was needed. Yes, it was. So we went to the only walk-in clinic in this town because I couldn't get a hold of the after-hours clinic for our doctor's office. The walk-in clinic turned us away because they were full. So I called our office's clinic again and they were full too, but when I explained what happened they fit us in right away. We learned that J had a mild concussion but as far as surgery and the healing was concerned, he is probably fine. He needs monitoring and if he shows certain symptoms he will need more medical attention, but the chances of that are low.

As was, apparently, his chance of being head butted in the nose on the school bus. The surgeon said that he was fine to go to school, just to avoid any injuries to the nose. When I explained that he was a 6-year old boy, the surgeon told me not to worry. Nose injuries at school are fairly uncommon. Of course they are. J's been in school for two years and hasn't received one injury to the nose, except right after his operation.

My friend mentioned that it was probably shocking to see him come off the bus in such a state. I thought about that briefly and told her that no, it wasn't really. This is J we're talking about. He seems to be the most uncoordinated child in the world at times, and he has inherited my whopping dose of dumb luck. I do believe it's genetic. But what can I do about it? I was ready to tell the surgeon that simply because J has to avoid injuries to the nose he would definitely get one, but that would have made me paranoid. It doesn't matter that I would have been right. I can't keep him home from school for the rest of his life either, which was my first inclination when he turned four. If there is an injury to be had, my boy will probably have it. So I have to be prepared to deal with it and keep my broken record going: "Be careful, watch where you're going, slow down, be careful, don't fall in that hole, be careful......" It's really all I can do.

The good news is that repetition is a common way to teach something, so by the time J moves out in a decade and a half, he should be a little more careful. On a side note, E doesn't seem to have this same tendency to get hurt as J does, but given enough repetition from watching his brother, I'm sure he'll learn quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment