Tuesday 9 July 2013

Family Vacation

We had our family vacation the first week of July this summer, which explains the long absence from my blog. I am sorry about that. Since we are a single-income family (which definitely qualifies us as frugal), we had an economy holiday. We spent the weekend at the trailer on my parents farm, which is just land really, because no one actually lives there. Correction, some very friendly cows live there. No relation to me though; the farmer rents the space.

The week was fun. The trailer is definitely better-equipped than most hotel rooms, with a fridge, freezer, stove and air conditioning (although the A/C wasn't working). There was a huge field for the kids to play in too, and sand pits and cows to socialize with. We spent most of the week at my mom's place though, because the kids needed some quality time with her. It was a great week to slow down and just enjoy each other.

We visited the town I grew up in for a day, and the kids played at the park. We also went out for lunch and to a café that has the best cupcakes known to man. I was able to shows my family al the spots that have been there since I was a kid, and tell them what was new. My husband and J also found a bait shop, which was reportedly very good. P suggested E and I remain in the car, because he was only going to be "a minute." At least I got to dance and make silly faces in the parking lot to amuse E for fifteen minutes (I probably also amused everyone driving by on the busy road).

We also got to take in small town fireworks for Canada Day. The fireworks weren't small though. The demonstration lasted over twenty minutes and was spectacular. E wasn't a fan, but at least he didn't cry. J thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, but that was soon to be replaced by another best thing.

Which brings me to Go Karting. I can't decide what my favourite part of the week was, but this was definitely a contender. I left E with my mom (he was napping anyway), and J and I went to the race track. Well, a version of a race track. J is still too short to go on his own, but it gave me a great excuse to get in a Go Kart after about 18 years. Wow, I'm old. Moving on, we bought the maximum time, which is fifteen minutes. It was ridiculously expensive, but sometimes that's okay. J said he was impressed with my driving skills, and I was too, to be honest. The last time I went Go Karting I drove into the forest. That's when they put the tire barrier all the way around the track, but I still didn't go back. There's something embarrassing about being so bad that the entire history of local Go Karting changed because of me...... I digress. I didn't crash this time and J was impressed that I stayed on the track. We sprung for ice cream after, and J's cone fell apart in the car. That was another fun memory.

E had fun too. He couldn't get enough of the beach at my mom's place. He enjoyed running around and playing, and he liked the ice cream too. Of course I got some for him as well. He liked the various parks we went to and learned how to jump in the lake with a life jacket on. It was more a matter of walking until the dock stopped and he fell in, but it was still fun.

Now that the vacation is over, it's time for summer to continue. I spent the day today calling various mothers of J's friends and arranging play dates and get togethers for the month of July. I filled the calendar with camp days and visits and park days and everything else I could think of. Only six and a half weeks left of summer. Not enough time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment