Tuesday 23 July 2013

I told you yoga was fun!

I made a deal with J earlier this year. He would try yoga for at least two classes this summer, and then if he didn't like it we would let him stop. He complained so much that you'd think I was torturing him, and this was three months before the classes even started I kept telling him he would like it and it's beneficial for a number of reasons, and he kept telling me yoga stinks, he wants Judo. The only problem with that is they don't offer martial arts for his age group during the summer, so that one has to wait until September.

Now here we are, two classes in and he won't even hear of me taking him out of the classes. He absolutely loves it. Of course I'm not surprised, but of course he's telling me I shouldn't have worried about him hating it. I can put up with the innocent hypocrisy only because of how good yoga is for him.

J is a typical boy, in that he loves to run around and get crazy. He likes to play in any way that allows him to get his energy out, and it's great that he's so active. I'm glad he's a busy boy and he needs no help to get moving. He does, however, need some help slowing down. Schools have become much more understanding in that they allow kids plenty of free time and space while they're learning, but there will come a year when J has to sit still at a desk and concentrate. As with most boys, he finds that difficult. Yoga will teach him how to be still without being impatient, and hopefully help him concentrate when he's not so comfortable.

I've told him this, and he "gets it." I've also told him that yoga is a great way to deal with anger, because he can take what he learns in class and apply it to his moods. Maybe I didn't elaborate enough though, because the other day he got angry with E and struck a Tree pose. That's one way to break the mood, I suppose, but I explained that it's more of getting back that calm feeling, rather than contorting ourselves to end an argument.

Now I'm not sure if J will still want to do Judo when it comes available. He likes yoga so much he may want to stick with that. I'm okay with whatever one he chooses, because both rely on similar principles and both will help him learn important life skills. I've even implemented yoga time at home, so we can all relax and get back to normal. E does it with us too, but I think the meditation aspect is lost on him still. I'm not bothered, because at least he's in one place and listening, which is a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment