Wednesday 6 February 2013

How to be appreciated by your kids

The printer doesn't work. I just changed the black ink cartridge and it has no ink apparently. So there was a very upset J when the colouring pages didn't happen. Of course, being the devoted mother that I am, I told him I would draw him a Lightning McQueen picture to colour.And then a big old delivery truck picture while he was colouring Lightning.

While I was doing the truck, J said to me, "The printer would do a much better job." Now I'm no stellar artist but I did a pretty good rendition, if I do say so myself. Once I was done the truck J said, "I really appreciate this Mommy, but I don't want to colour anymore." Immediately followed by, "But when I do, you can do lots more."

So I guess tonight instead of exercising and writing, as I originally planned, I will personally illustrate a colouring book with 1) Mater the tow truck, 2) a fire engine, 3) a garbage truck, 4) a monster truck, 5) a Tim Hortons truck, and 6) two trains (a steam train and a diesel engine). That is his personal request.

I know he appreciates it in his five-year old way, although the printer would do a much nicer picture. But I have figured out how to be appreciated by your kids. Wait until they have kids of their own. Then when they find themselves doing completely crazy things to keep their own children happy, they'll remember what you did that was completely crazy for them. And you will get your gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment