Sunday 24 February 2013

Funny Toddlers

Everyone whose ever had a toddler will know that sometimes it's a bit tricky. There are tantrums to deal with, growing independence, teething, and lots of messes. There are fun times too, but I'll get to those later so I can end on a positive note.

The tantrums are definitely not fun, but I'm lucky in the sense that E doesn't have many of them. When he does, he's easy to distract and it's over quickly. I know he hasn't gotten to the full-blown stage yet, but I'm hoping with a little tantrum-training now, when he does it won't be so bad. I'll let you know if it works when he's eighteen and we're past the unreasonable phase.

The growing independence is common to all kids of E's age, but I think E is perhaps a bit more exploratory than most. He is good in the sense that he closes cupboards, doors, and dishwashers (except when he shuts himself into the washroom, that's always hit or miss). He knows where everything goes and he knows, for the most part, what he can touch and can't. He still needs constant supervision though. That kid can move the step stool to where he needs it and get onto the counter for snacks. And while he doesn't do stuff like that often, he's smart enough that he can figure it all out and I can't take my eyes off him.

All parents know about teething, so I will just say this: it stinks. For those moms and dads whose children don't wake up every half hour, or develop a diaper rash to end all rashes, or can't be put down for three days, I have nothing to say to you on the topic.

Now the mess. I saved this one for last because there's no way it can be avoided. Here are some of my tricks though to help. Keep a broom by the high chair. Have a spray bottle with vinegar and a rag by the high chair too, where your toddler can't reach. Trust me, it's easier to clean spaghetti off the floor immediately, rather than wait for bedtime. Invest in some used shirts that match the colour of your toddler's favourite food. For E, it's ketchup. I don't follow this advice because I look horrible in red, but I end up with ketchup smears all over my shirts and it could, technically, be hidden. For toy messes, designate a bucket for tidy up. When your little one's in the right mood, let them go around and pick up stray toys so you can sort them out. Keep the biggest mat you can by the door (if it covers half your living room, all the better), and have separate baskets for kids mitts and hats, and adults mitts and hats.

Now that we've talked about some difficult aspects of raising a toddler into a mature and responsible preschooler, let's cover the fun times. Every little one or two year old has their own patterns and gestures and personality. E mimics everything we do. J gets him going with a game of "Whoever wants a cookie, put your hand up." And E does every time. He loves this game, and he has many others, but the point is, every toddler has their own little games and actions to enjoy. Encourage this play, because a sense of humour is even more enjoyable in a three year old.

Toddlers are also more affectionate than they will ever be again. Those days when E won't let me put him down, I remind myself that before I know it (when he's thirteen, probably), he'll want nothing to do with me. Soon enough, he will know that Mommy can't make it all better all the time, but right now I can appreciate his disillusionment. My arm still gets sore, but it's easier to focus on how cuddly he is than how clingy he is.

My favourite part of this age: with the exception of his little rages, everything he does is designed to get a good reaction from us. He plays and jokes and acts silly to get me to laugh. He hugs me and wipes his nose on my shoulder (his version of a kiss, I tell myself) to make me smile. But the best part is, once I'm happy, he's even happier. I appreciate his good moods and sense of humour and empathy, and it more than makes up for all the mess and stair climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment