Sunday 23 December 2012

Mom Resolutions

It is coming close to that time of year when Christmas is over and there are seven short days to decide on a New Year's resolution. Some people like me have it easier than others, because we failed at our resolution last year so here we go again. Losing 25 pounds is a recurring resolution for me. But instead of personal resolutions, let's focus on some parenting resolutions.

I have already resolved to carry out this act of kindness thing that seems so popular now. I always try to be good to others, but now it is a cultural trend with all the books and websites about it. Since this was already part of my lifestyle, I have decided to blog about it to show people that it really is easy to implement, and there is no need it has to be a great, unheard of idea. It is quite simple actually, and I include it here because I want my children to know that it is a natural part of being a good person. It is not anything new in our family to do nice things for others, because my children will grow up knowing that we try to be nice whenever we can, just because we can. So check out my new blog Jan, 1/13, to see how I am making people smile one day at a time. www.niceadaybyday.blogspot.com

On the more personal side of things, here are my resolutions for just my family and myself:

1. I resolve to take a deep breath before I start yelling at my kids. This will serve two purposes. If I am yelling for no good reason, I can take a moment to change my approach. If I am yelling for a good reason, it will be much more effective if it has breath behind it.

2. I resolve to count the number of vegetable servings my children have each day. I know I am able to do this, because it is usually only one or two (I have very picky eaters). That's easy enough for me to remember. The fruit servings will be counted next year.

3. I resolve to get the number of vegetable servings up to three by the end of 2013. If this means I serve peas for breakfast or put broccoli in their grilled cheese, I will do it. I can count to three almost as easily as 2.

4. I resolve to teach by example. I will be aware of my tone and volume as much as I can, even when I am upset. I will verbalize when I am frustrated and allow my children to see my attempts to calm down. I will reinforce that this is the way to deal with our emotions in a healthy way, and if I do throw a temper tantrum, my kids get a free pass for meltdowns for the rest of the day. And I will eat three servings of vegetables a day

Those are my parenting resolutions. I think they are good ones. Feel free to borrow mine, or share your thoughts on your own. I would love to hear how everyone plans on parenting in the new year, unless you are already perfect and don't plan any changes. In that case, please let me know your secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment