Saturday 17 November 2012

Read to your children!

I have recently started selling children's books. I was looking for a way to earn a little extra cash and I wanted something a little out of the ordinary. This left me two options: marital aids (I hope I don't have to clarify) or kids books. I went with the books. My boys love reading. One is 5 and the other is 1. I read to them and with them every day, so it seemed like a no-brainer. My reality came crashing down though when after almost three months of selling books, my sales are at a minimum. Most people don't see the point to buying quality, educational books for their children anymore. Of course, I am generalizing because there are plenty of moms out there who love reading to their kids and do it often, but I have been promoting these books like mad and only have a handful of customers. The benefits of reading to your children are so many that it's hard for me to believe there are people who don't, but I have come into contact with a lot of those types too. So here's a breakdown to convince those who don't read to their kids to change, and those who do read with them that they are doing the right thing. Children who are surrounded by books from a young age are more literate than their peers and will have an easier time learning for the rest of their lives. This is in any context, like school, career training, language courses, etc. Children who learn to read early have higher self-esteem and more friends than those who don't particularly like books. Children who like books will have a more successful career, be more curious and adventurous, have a greater vocabulary, and enjoy all aspects of life more. So read to your children! They will not like books if they are not surrounded by them, and I can't imagine anything worse than a child saying "what's the point of reading?" Okay, maybe one thing is worse: In the UK, 40% of children don't own books. No, I'm not on a selling spree, I don't sell books for the money. I want kids to love learning. And to prove it, I'm not even going to post my business website. Just pick up a book and read with your child. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment