Saturday 25 May 2013

The butt challenge

Technically, it's called the 30-day squat challenge. Has anyone seen the pictures of the supposed butts on the challenge pages? Don't get me wrong, they are very shapely and attractive behinds, but I doubt that mine will ever look like that, even if I do 1000 squats daily for the rest of my life.

So I'm doing an experiment. I have committed to the 30-day squat challenge. There are several reasons that it's perfect for me right now. First is that with shingles, I can't go to the gym because I am not allowed to sweat. I have told that to my pores several times, but they have the listening of a 2-year old so I am refraining from the gym. Second, I love the fact that whatever the results, I can be finished in 30 days. That's pretty cool too, and not at all intimidating. The third reason this is perfect is because I love disproving anything. Just ask my husband. Maybe I should say I love testing theories because it makes me sound more open-minded. So I am testing this theory. I have had a before-butt picture taken and will have an after-butt picture taken, and then compare to see if there are visible results. Since this is a blog rated for G audiences, I will assure you that the pictures will be fully clothed and completely appropriate, although the before-butt is not appealing. I haven't even decided if I'm posting the pics on here, but if the result is amazing then I will.

So here's what else I'm doing, because no matter how challenging the number gets (it goes to 250 for Day 30), I'll still be done in less than three minutes. That doesn't seem like much, so I am adding yoga. The number of squats increases daily, so I'm increasing the seconds I hold the yoga poses too. I have three poses to work my stomach: The Plank, The Boat and The Bird-Dog. I have also had a before-belly picture taken, to see the improvement of this too. Now it takes me six whole minutes to complete my daily exercises and I can sleep at night knowing I'm committed!

All joking aside though, this is an experiment and it's an easy way to stay relatively active when I am not allowed to sweat or do anything strenuous. I am even starting the 30-day pushup challenge with my husband on Monday, because my arms (like my tush) leave something to be desired. The pushup challenge is a bit easier I think, because it starts at five pushups the first day. I'm relatively sure I can do that, but I don't know what number it ends at so I may be in for a surprise! And of course I will do before and after arms pictures of that.

My hope is that at the end of 30 days I will have photographic evidence of the effectiveness of three different toning exercises. Barring that, I want to have these shingles gone so I can get back on the treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment